WELCOME to My Mind

Welcome to "Under Kody's Hat"! Here is a look at some of the things I think about, know and get to do with Hats on a daily basis.

Feb 22, 2011

Warmer Days

I am back had an AWESOME weekend off! I am ready to spill a little more information on Hats. I spent my weekend in a warmer climate, wishing I had packed my Straw Hat. This inspired me to tell you more about Straw Hats.


There are 8 main Straw types that are used in making these Hats, which are hand woven. I have already educated you on Jute Straw Hats, and the next one I want to share with you is Shantung. It is sometimes referred to as Shantung Panama.

Shantung is a man-made high performance paper yarn. The Japanese people named this high performance paper "Washi," which literally means "Japanese Paper." Because of availability, and tensile strength, washi is now mainly made from the Manila Hemp Plant. One of the characteristics is that it can absorb thirty percent moisture without having the feeling of wetness. It is considered to be one of the strongest of all natural fibers. It is awesome for making hats. Shantung is light weight, and durable.  It is very similar, by looks, to genuine Panama Hats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment