WELCOME to My Mind

Welcome to "Under Kody's Hat"! Here is a look at some of the things I think about, know and get to do with Hats on a daily basis.

Feb 10, 2011

Kettle Iron Curl

Here it is "Throwback Thursday" upon us once again. I want to tell you a little about the Kettle Iron Curl. It is when you have your brim rolled up over the sides. I have heard lots of differnt names for it. Most of the names come from the diameter of the curl such as the quarter iron curl, pencil curl and rain catcher curl. To achive this look it takes a Heat, Steam, Water and a Kettle Iron.
By doing this, it helps strech the Hat fibers to curl in a half circle around the brim. (See above picture) You can just run it on each side, rather than all the way around, for a more traditional look. You can also do it just in the back for more of a flat top Buckaroo look. Or like Tom Mix, Hop Along Cassidy and Val Kilmer as Doc Hoiday in the movie Tombstone, with the Kettle Iron Curl around the whole brim.
This week I have been practicing the Kettle Iron Curl since going to visit JW Hats. It's really growing on me, and I think I want a Hat with that curl to it. Yesterday I had the opportunity to make a Hat that looks just like Tom Mix's hat he wore. I will post a picture of my replica Hat tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. My truck doesn't get along with my hat. Head rest pushes the hat around. I found an old hat I had gotten in the early 70's. With a bunch of fussy work, and burnt fingers, steamed the brim into a "negitive kettle curl". Reprofiled the crown into a "Gus". Gave the brim a slight uplift on the sides. Advantages: doesn't act as a resevoir in a rain storm, provides better shade when the sun is low, doesn't get pushed around by the trucks head rest. Am a retired mechanic, so plenty of time to try things. Check around the web for hats done in this manner. All I have seen are quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete